Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Inadequacy

When I was in high school, I remember heartbreak after heartbreak of not being invited to things by my friends, my sense of humor not being understood, my values not being valued, and the list goes on. I remember constantly feeling rejection from those around me. And not just my personality... other things too: my voice was never quite good enough, I rarely placed in dance competitions despite this hobby consuming my time, etc. I remember pouring every ounce of my soul into friendships only to be talked about behind my back, or to be ignored or not called back. I remember feeling so lonely and inadequate.

It's been a beautiful thing to look back at who I was and reflect on my transformation. Today, the same things continue to happen, but knowing who I am in Christ gives me the confidence I need to shield myself from the arrows of the enemy that try to pierce me with feelings of inadequacy and feelings of being left out. The enemy tries to make us feel alone, tries to isolate us, and keep us from sharing feelings such as these, because when we are most isolated, we are most vulnerable to his attacks. And when we do shut ourselves down, it is giving him power over us. I am so thankful that today when I begin to have feelings of inadequacy, that I remember that God created me, loves me, and has bought me with the blood of His son. And because I am a blood-bought daughter of The Most High, I know that I am loved... and that gives me all the confidence I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment