Saturday, March 24, 2012

My hero, my Dad.

There are three incredibly important men in my life. You've heard me talk about God, my husband, and now it's time to blog about my Dad.

For those of you who don't know, Scott and I will be building our first home! My father is a custom-home builder, so he is going to build it for us. Spending so much time with him lately has really made me appreciate him for who he is and the reason for writing my blog.


My Dad is an eclectic man. Let me explain him to you from my perspective.

My Dad, a man's man: He has been playing rugby since his twenties, and will be celebrating his 60th birthday this year. Although he rarely drinks more than a beer or two at a time, he loves to brew his own beer and wine. He drives a Harley, he's an Army Veteran, loves to wrestle, and is just an all around manly dude.

If you look closely you can see the blood!



My Dad, an artist: Some other things you need to know about my Dad - he likes to can fruits, make jellies, make chocolate candies for Christmas, and draw cartoons. He's made stained glass pieces, porcelain figurines and more.

My Dad, a friend: There are several people he calls to check up on, on a regular basis. He cares about their hearts, their successes, and their journey in faith.

My Dad, a father: Growing up, my Dad came to every dance recital and competition (there were A LOT, and usually he was one of the only Dad's there). He came to every single lacrosse game. My Dad was in construction all his life, so he encouraged me to study and gain an education in which I could use my mind instead of my body. When I was sick or hurting emotionally, my Dad always said he wished he could take the pain from me, and on to himself. And I always knew he meant it.

Last night he told me he was considering not playing rugby this season. If you know my Dad at all, you would know he lives, eats, breathes, and bleeds rugby! After a rugby game, despite the bruises and blood, he is SO relaxed and at peace. When I asked why, he shared that "I would rather have a heart attack the week after your house is done, then start building it with a broken arm." I was speechless. He wasn't looking for praise, he wasn't looking for me to tell him how selfless it was. He knew how important to us the house was - he knew the financial and emotional ramifications of this house for Scott and I. It was the single most selfless thing I have ever heard another human being say. In fact, as I'm writing this, I am nearly in tears over the purity of his intentions and love for Scott and I.

Proud Daddy
We are always goofing around

My Dad, a follower of Christ: This is going to take awhile...

Working by himself, my Dad listens to sermons on the radio daily. He quenches his insatiable thirst for Jesus by listening to sermons every day and by using his alone time to learn more about theology and the heart of God. 


My Dad has been faced with more situations than you can imagine where he's had the opportunity to give in to moral temptation. Time and time again, I've seen him flee from these temptations and uphold his moral standards.

My Dad teaches weatherization and other trade classes at a few community colleges in the Baltimore area. Among his students, he has taught pre-release prisoners, and many other disadvantaged students. On the last day of his week-long class, the majority of his students hug him, thank him, and many have even affectionately referred to him as "Uncle Bob." Many have even told him that no one else has ever seemed to care about them like he does. After class, he has prayed with many of his students. He has lent a listening ear and has counseled them through difficult situations. He has assured so many people that they were created in the image of God. He has encouraged them to dig in to scripture for the answers to life's problems instead of engaging in other worldly practices and "solutions." He is living out his faith, in his every day life. In fact, I've witnessed few people who seek God so much in their alone time, and who shine God's light so brightly amongst the lost world and it's people.

I could go on and on about the integrity my Dad possesses. I could tell you how I've seen him be hurt, and lovingly turn the other cheek. I could tell you stories of his grace for others. I could tell you about how he serves other by repairing things in their home for free, and about his new passion for missions. I could tell you about unconditional love he has shown his family, when they haven't known how to love him. I could tell you about the compassion and forgiveness he's had for his own earthly father, after his father has been absent for so long. I could tell you stories about the hardships he has faced, but the Biblical perseverance he has maintained. I could tell you about the gift of wisdom and knowledge that he possesses and that he obediently uses his voice to share this wisdom and knowledge with those in need of hearing it. I've seen him pursue the hearts of those undesirable in the sight of others. I've seen him lovingly speak truth into lives. I could go on and on and on about his strong character and the fantastic example he has set for me as an obedient follower of Christ.

I am so thankful for my Dad. I hope that as I grow in years, that I could also grow in the same integrity and love for Jesus that he has. Thank you, Dad for obediently answering your calling, and for setting an example for the rest of us.

Mom & Dad on their wedding day
Always making us laugh

Family photo, minus Mom
His girlies

No comments:

Post a Comment